MegaCon Updates & Tips!
If you are planing on heading out to Orlando’s largest annual comic/movie/anime/geek/nerd convention, you should know the following:
Autograph prices for most celebrities are now posted on the MegaCon website (http://megaconvention.com). There are separate prices for autographs and for professional photo ops (some celebrities also allow for photos at their tables for a fee). Leading the pack on pricing this year is without a doubt, the most sought after celebrity, Norman Reedus ($80). Runners up to the most costly fan experience are Stan Lee and Hulk Hogan (both $75). If you are looking to work on a multi-signed piece, most of the cast of Firefly will be in attendance (sans Nathan Fillion).
You should also know that many celebrities have cancelled their appearances already. While this is normal for conventions as their appearances are booked far in advance, before shooting schedules fill up, MegaCon has lost a chunk of folks that were on our list for meeting (Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Cary Elwes, Ron Perlman, & more). The full list of cancellations and pricing can be found here: http://megaconvention.com/artists/a-list-of-media-guest-autographphoto-pricing/
If this is your first time attending MegaCon, follow these tips and you may be a little happier in your adventures:
- Bring a refillable bottle for water and bring snacks! The food and drink prices at the Orange County Convention Center tend to be steep and you’ll probably want to use that convention money for other geeky awesomeness.
- Don’t expect celebrities to take a long time with you as you get their autograph. While every interaction with your heroes is priceless, their time can be pressed and they want to meet as many of their fans that they can.
- If you are planning on attending any of the panels, be sure to arrive at least 45-60 minutes early to ensure you get in. MegaCon is extremely popular and the panels you want to see are most likely desirable by many of the other attendees.
- Be sure to allow for plenty of time to wander in the more open, general areas to soak in all of the amazing cosplay. This is our favorite part of the con, and we love to see all of the hard work that goes into bringing our geeky favorites to life.
- Don’t be afraid to haggle with the vendors or price shop. Many of the vendors carry the same items and you will find fluctuation in prices. While vendors bring a ton of items to MegaCon, they don’t like to have to pack it all back up to take back home. Let’s make a deal!
- Have fun!! The crowds can stress you out. Relax and enjoy all that is MegaCon!
Check back in over the weekend and on Monday for some of our highlights and follow along on Twitter (@kyzman) and our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/cheapseatsview